Some Mac users love to view content of stack as Fan View yet hating the fact that it can barely display ten or more applications. If you’re one of those users, you will be very happy to follow this trick, which will make your stack background “invisible” and all icons inside that stack will be see as if they’re “floating”.
Shown Above. Invisible Stack with Grid View
Invisible Stack Background
For those who are curious with what’s going on, follow these instructions to make your stack background disappear.
- Open Finder
- Go to Macintosh HD → System → Library → Core Services
- Look for Dock and control-click on it
- Choose Show Package Contents from its contextual menu and then go inside Contents → Resources
- Back up and delete from that folder all of image files prefixed with stackbackground-
- Use your Terminal to restart Dock by executing command line
After you’ve successfully restarted your Dock, try to expand your stack, the result should look like what’s seen on the screenshot shown before.
Off-Topic Yet As Interesting
Anyway, if you’ve enough creativity and time to tweak around, you can actually change those images with another mind-blowing background images, such as adding a little star to bottom-left background image results in :
Shown Above. Stack Background with Little Star Attached
Let’s see how you can use your creative thinking on something that’s almost useless like this.