When browsed through your inbox with your Mail application, sometimes you need to flag certain useful
email for future reference. With simple keystrokes, Shift Command L you can flag selected mails.
And now, do you want to change the icon of the flag as shown in screenshot below?
Mark As Starred
If you want to do so, follow these steps :
Change Flag Icon
- Open your Finder
- Go to Applications folder Shift Command A
- Look for Mail application, Control Click on it and choose Show Package Contents
- Once you’re inside Mail package contents, follow these paths : Contents ▸ Resources ▸ flagged.tiff
- That’s the flagged mark with 16×16 dimensions. I recommend you to have a backup of this icon file
Find other image file that has 16×16 dimensions. If that file extension isn’t .tiff, open that file with Preview
and save as .tiff
- Rename the file to flagged.tiff and replace the original flag mark
Change Header Icon
You will notice that even though you’ve changed the flag into other image, let’s say star, the header is still displaying
flag. For the sake of completeness, you need to change the icon file for the flag header also.
- Look for file Mail ▸ Contents ▸ Resources ▸ flagged_header.tiff
The file dimension is 16×16. For better result, you need to set canvas size to 16×16 and
have the displayed image set to only 12×12
- As what you’ve done before, back it up and replace it with the new one
And here is the result :
Click here to download 2 new star icons and 2 original flag icons.